RMBx 1655 Musician Sydney Robert (Bob) Dawson
+ 12th August 2003
  further appreciation by David Webster ( 1 2 )

01 -A photo of Bob Dawson mid 1940's
Singapore Jap Surrender - 1946 02 Singapore Jap Surrender - 1946
HMS Sussex Band - 1946 03 HMS Sussex Band - 1946
04 HMS Sussex Dance Band 1946 04 HMS Sussex Dance Band 1946
HMS Sussex Dance Band 1946 05 HMS Sussex Dance Band 1946
HMS Sussex - Painting Ship 1946 06 HMS Sussex - Painting Ship 1946

07 RNSM Dance Orchestra c1944
Band Mess HMS Sussex Christmas Day 1945 08 Band Mess HMS Sussex Christmas Day 1945
Guard & Band HMS Sussex 1945 09 Guard & Band HMS Sussex 1945
The Band of HMS St Vincent
10 The Band of HMS St Vincent
'The Times of Ceylon'
11 'The Times of Ceylon'


It is with regret that I have to inform you of the death on the 12th August 2003 of ex-Musician Bob Dawson after a long illness. He was 87 years of age.

Bob was a "hostilities only" musician. In 1941 he saw that conscription was coming and volunteered for and was accepted into the Band Service and joined whilst the Royal Naval School of Music was based in Malvern. He was already an accomplished trombone and euphonium player having been in brass bands in the Nottingham area where he lived. Bob went on to serve in the bands of HMS 'Shropshire', 'Royal Sovereign' and 'Sussex' as well as several shore establishments. On the 'Shropshire' he went on Russian convoys. On the 'Sussex' he was in the Far East Fleet when a Kamikaze plane, which fortunately for all on board failed to explode, hit the ship. The 'Sussex' was the first warship into Singapore after the Japanese surrender. The ship had no official photographer and, because of his interest in photography, Bob was sent ashore with the first boat and took photographs of the prisoners released from Changi Prison. The rest of the band were sent ashore to assist those released.

Bob was 'de-mobbed' in April 1946 and went back to live in the Nottingham area. He returned to employment in the retail trade and as a commercial traveller.

Bob went on to play euphonium and trombone with the Nottinghamshire Police Band until he was in his 80's. He was also the band librarian for many years.

After the Deal bombing and the formation of the 'All Stars Band' Bob regularly played at the Margate concerts until his health deteriorated. At one of the concerts he was introduced to the audience as the oldest playing member. He was very proud of his service with the Royal Marines Bands and made some very good friends with whom he kept in touch for many years.

Bob leaves his wife Edith, a son and daughter and three grand daughters. His grand daughters are carrying on the musical tradition and two of them played flute and guitar and sang at his funeral.

David Webster

Previous | Home | Next
Richard Valentine -1996 - 2005© - All rights reserved